Seasonal Seasonal Truck Driver
After the Harvest
Our 501(c)(3) nonprofit rescues nutritious fruits and vegetables from going to waste and donates them to agencies that serve hungry people, primarily in Greater Kansas City. Our volunteers glean after the harvest, picking what’s left in farmers’ fields and picking up already harvested leftover produce. The majority of the funds we raise helps secure semi-truckloads of donated produce that might otherwise end up in landfills. Learn more at aftertheharvestkc.org.
Position: Seasonal Driver
Reports to: Gleaning Network Manager
Do you believe that no one should go hungry, that healthy food is a right and not a luxury and that no food should go to waste? Then join our passionate team at After the Harvest as we work to make a difference in Greater Kansas City.
The Driver works with the Gleaning Network Manager to plan, execute, and assess the distribution of produce acquired through After the Harvest’s Gleaning Program during the local growing season. This position is responsible for a daily route in ATH’s refrigerated truck and/or delivery van and accurately tracking incoming and outgoing inventory using online software.
- Follow a daily route picking up from farms and distributors and delivering to partner agencies. Pickups and deliveries take place most days within the Kansas City metro, and occasionally at farms and agencies within 75 miles of Kansas City.
- Communicate with partner agencies and Gleaning Network Manager to develop a delivery schedule.
- Enter and track all distribution data digitally for regular reporting.
- With Gleaning Network Manager, evaluate distribution statistics and reporting to create a more equitable, efficient, and scalable distribution model.
- Drive ATH’s truck and van for large produce pickups and deliveries.
- Receive large deliveries and load/unload delivery vehicle daily at After the Harvest’s underground cold storage facility.
- Daily routine maintenance of company vehicles including gas and checking fluid levels, tires, washing, etc. Maintain DOT Logs and follow DOT regulations.
- Other program and organization tasks and duties as time allows.
- Current Missouri or Kansas Driver’s license, good driving record. Current auto insurance. Ability to safely drive ATH 22 foot box truck, cargo van, and operate liftgate and pallet jack. CDL not required but a plus.
- Ability to pass a DOT physical and/or able to supply current certificate.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lb. boxes (often multiple times in a row), and work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Previous truck driving experience required
- Previous forklift experience, required
- Comfortable connecting with and relating to farmers, agency staff, and volunteers from a variety of backgrounds.
- Excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Word, Excel required.
- Full Time (35-40 Hours per week) Seasonal: August through December. Pre-scheduled pickups/deliveries take place on Tuesday through Saturdays from 8:00 am- 4:00 pm. Occasionally there may be a need outside of these hours.
- Driver will attend deliveries for strategic partners, and when additional help is needed.
- Warehouse located near 23rd Street and I-435 in Independence.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary Range: $16-$18 per hour (Determined by experience level.)
After the Harvest is committed to fostering diversity in the workplace. As such, it is our policy to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, covered veteran status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: $16.00 – $18.00 per hour
- Home daily
- Weekend availability
- On the road
157 total views, 1 today